What is ARCHCAS?
ARCHCAS is a centralized application service that offers prospective architecture students a convenient way to research and apply to graduate programs offered at participating schools. Through ARCHCAS, students need to complete only one electronic application and prepare one set of corresponding materials (i.e. references, transcripts, resume/CV, personal statements) that will be disseminated online to one or multiple participating programs. Each participating program will also have the opportunity to ask applicants for any additional information that is not already collected as part of the root application. ARCHCAS verifies the application components for accuracy and sends the materials to the programs designated by the applicant.
What benefits will programs realize by participating in ARCHCAS?
- Ability to complete application review entirely online with official authenticated, verified and scanned documents as well as integration with SlideRoom
- Use of interview scheduling, scoring and robust customer relationship management tools that allow programs to send targeted communications to prospective applicants throughout the process
- Exposure to a broader range of applications and help sorting through the existing large pool of applicants
- Flexible and customizable analytic tools that enable programs to compare data and rank applications on various self-determined criteria
- Verification and processing services that reduce administrative costs and staff time typically devoted to verifying student application data, freeing admission staff to focus on higher level activities
- Access to real-time data on applicants that can be easily sorted, segmented and exported, either manually or programmatically, to existing admissions systems
How will prospective students benefit from the application service?
- ARCHCAS offers a convenient and efficient process to research and apply to multiple participating graduate programs using a single Web-based application.
- The service reduces or eliminates the need for duplicate application data, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and other admissions materials.
- Students may access in real-time an applicant portal which can be used to check the status of their graduate school application, including the receipt of verified transcripts and letters of recommendation.
- Students will have one point of contact to meet customer service and technical support needs throughout the application process.
Do other professions use centralized application services?
Yes, there are over 30 other disciplines that benefit from a CAS. The list of those professions include business (BusinessCAS), engineering (EngineeringCAS), medicine (AMCAS), dentistry (AADSAS), public health (SOPHAS) as well as many other disciplines. Applicants find these services convenient to use, and schools enjoy the convenience of having a single point of entry into their respective professions and receiving completed and verified applications.
What are the costs and fees associated with using ARCHCAS?
There is no cost for a program to participate in ARCHCAS. Your program’s participation will include being listed among all the participating graduate programs and use of WebAdMIT, the ARCHCAS admissions management portal.
Will fee waivers be available?
Yes! For candidates demonstrating financial hardship, a fee waiver program has been established.
Will ARCHCAS interface with my enrollment management software?
Yes, 40 CAS systems service thousands of programs, and most interface directly with a variety of popular and home-grown enrollment management software, including Banner, PeopleSoft and Slate, for example.
Will a CAS increase the number of applicants to my program?
Data from the implementation of other services has repeatedly indicated an overall increase in applicants to participating programs. A CAS will supplement the current marketing, recruitment and admission strategies already in place. Specific variations among programs are likely with the aggregate trend for an increase being the most likely outcome. The development and implementation of a service will facilitate the efforts already in place at programs but cannot guarantee the growth of applicant pools. Empirical evidence from other associations suggests that programs may expect an overall increase in applications but individual increases will vary. Programs that are concerned with an increase in applications should know that a CAS would likely lessen the impact of increased applications. The administrative application process itself is less time-consuming, since the application information will be sent in formats that meet the needs of each school. The CAS will also electronically send ready-to-read folders for each applicant daily via the provided, free admission management software.
Will the ARCHCAS processing fee be cost prohibitive to students?
Like other CAS in place, ARCHCAS will offer a need-based fee waiver program to eligible students. ARCHCAS is creating the initial pool of funds that are to be used strictly for the fee waiver program.
What level of support will I receive if I participate in ARCHCAS?
Expert and dedicated ARCHCAS staff will be available to answer applicant questions throughout the application process. A dedicated phone line and email address will be assigned to applicants. In addition, schools will have a dedicated phone line and email address to answer individual inquiries in a timely manner.
Who is overseeing the implementation of ARCHCAS?
Liaison International will oversee the implementation of ARCHCAS with the assistance of ACSA and the ARCHCAS advisory board.